Although there seems to be conflict about whether it’s spelled ‘Wedgwood’ or ‘Wedgewood,’ most agree that this is a pretty great neighborhood. No matter where you go, signs on street corners proclaim that, “Wedgwood Welcomes You!” Why, thank you, Wedgwood! It’s great to be here!
The neighborhood first started its rapid growth during World War II, when a developer had 500 houses built in Cape Cod style to be used as housing for defense workers. This landowner’s wife had a set of Wedgwood china; hence the name (and true correct spelling). Throughout the years, Seattle’s first P-Patch was created, a large bog was transformed into a playfield, and Big Rock went from being a landmark for trails to a hangout spot for hoodlums to a nice spot maintained by local residents.
Who Lives Here?
- Urban Power Families - High-income couples with children.
- Six-figure salaried couples with children who live an upscale life in a metro center. Highly educated professionals working in finance, medical, and high-tech fields.
- Power Singles - High-income urban singles.
- Highly educated professionals, many with advanced degrees. They draw a handsome salary and have reasonable living expenses while living a hip, upscale life in an urban center.
- Corporate Climbers - High-income, high-expense urban singles.
- Urban singles with an up-and-coming income, but with higher-than-average living costs. Most have college educations and are employed in mid-management professions.
|Median Household Income||$60,405||$45,736|
|Homes With Kids||27%||18%|
|Commute Time||28 min||27 min|
Wedged (har har) right in the center of north Seattle, this is a great place for families or anyone who wants a quiet and cozy atmosphere that’s still close enough to the action of the city. You’ll find modest houses that once in a while give way to pockets of bustling streets with shops and restaurants (nearly every block has a business that shares a name with the neighborhood—“Wedgwood Dental/Hair Studio/Broiler, etc.”) Strolling down 35th Ave NE is a good way to get a feel for the community, since this is where most commercial businesses are located.
Activities and Attractions
A quick glance at the Wedgwood Community Center website shows that there is more to do here than it would seem. In the summer, they have outdoor movies. The PLANET:HOME sustainable living festival is held here every year. They’re currently building a community gathering place with an outdoor stage, and Dahl Playfield was recently spruced up to include a skate park and new play equipment.
Several eateries are also worth mentioning—swing through in the morning for breakfast at Top Pot Doughnuts, have lunch at Grateful Bread Bakery, or try out Fiddler’s Inn for happy hour or live music in the evening.
Homes in Wedgwood
Wedgwood Homes for Sale
Search Wedgwood Homes
Receive Home Listings Daily
Get the latest Wedgwood homes for sale delivered to your inbox each day.
Wedgwood Home Value Index
Median Home Value
Median Condo Value
Wedgwood Real Estate Agents
Meet our local neighborhood experts who can help you buy or sell a home in Wedgwood.