Phone Credit: Museum of History & Industry
This Saturday kicks off six months of events celebrating the 1962 World’s Fair. 50 years ago, the world imagined regular space travel and monorail transport with the forward-thinking theme “Consider the possibilities of life in the 21st century.” Corporate Exhibits from companies like Boeing, Ford, and Bell Systems showed better living through modern science. The event put Seattle on the International map and gave us many civic buildings that we still enjoy today. This year’s event has several retrospective exhibits as well as many advanced-thinking workshops and presentations to get people imagining Seattle’s next 50 years.
This Saturday, plan to hit up the Seattle Center for Opening Day. The events start at 10:30 AM and goes through 6:00 PM. Activities include:
- Opening Ceremony with John Keister (Almost Live!), Tom Skerritt, and Seattle Men’s Chorus
- Theaters featuring 1962 Television Shows and World’s Fair Footage
- Food Trucks and Carts
- Beer Garden & Trivia Games
- Driven to Explore Exhibit by NASA
- Our Sustainable Futures Experience Exhibit
- Celebrating Century 21 Exhibit
- Living City Design Competition Exhibit
- Rat City Rollergirls
- Bands & Drill Teams
We’ll update you here on other “Next 50” events that happen between now and October.
Even the Space Needle is getting all dressed up for the occassion as it’s top gets a fresh coat of Galaxy Gold. Love the retro shade!