HistoryHoughton was actually on the map before Kirkland itself. Settlers came here to enjoy the shores of Lake Washington and try their hand at farming. Soon, the need for transportation across Lake Washington led to the development of a successful shipbuilding industry. When Kirkland tried to annex the town after World War II, Houghton residents fought back. They didn’t like the way Kirkland planned on cluttering up the bay. It wasn’t until 1968 that Houghton finally agreed to become part of Kirkland when a law was passed that said they could have their own community council. Today, the neighborhood still has a strong voice in the city itself.
Who Lives Here?
- Single in the Suburbs - Middle- to upper-income singles living in the suburbs.
- Singles ranging in age from 30s to 60s who earn a comfortable income. Some own their homes, and their careers range from management to service industry.
- Movers and Shakers - Mobile suburban couples without kids.
- More than 50% of these younger married couples have moved in the past five years. They earn comfortable incomes and work in management or professional careers. Some have completed college.
- Suburban Elite - Suburban super-rich couples with children.
- Middle-aged married couples with a luxurious lifestyle in the suburbs. More than 15% have a family income of $200,000 or more. The majority have a college or graduate school degree, and most own their homes.
|Median Household Income||$76,711||$60,332|
|Homes With Kids||27%||22%|
|Commute Time||20 min||24 min|
Activities and AttractionsWhile Houghton is largely residential, it does have several attractions to note. As with most Kirkland communities, waterfront activities and parks are easy to come by. Houghton Beach Park is great for wading or swimming, playing beach volleyball, or picnicking. The kids will love the play area and its pirate-boat themed equipment. Up the hill is the larger Watershed Park, which offers hiking trails. There is a small business district around the intersection of 108th Avenue and 68th Street. Its amenities include a Metropolitan Market, a Sarducci’s Sub Shop, Teriyaki Madness, Shamiana—an Indian/Pakistani place, and a taco truck (Tacos El Guero) – the mark of any great neighborhood!
Homes in Houghton, Kirkland
Search Houghton, Kirkland Homes
Receive Home Listings Daily
Get the latest Houghton, Kirkland homes for sale delivered to your inbox each day.
Houghton Home Value Index
Median Home Value
Median Condo Value
Houghton, Kirkland Real Estate Agents
Meet our local neighborhood experts who can help you buy or sell a home in Houghton, Kirkland.